Hey friends! I’m venturing into the more lifestyle-y area of this blog today by sharing something that is very near and dear to my heart.
This month I am joining the challenge to choose to refuse single-use plastic. I’m pledging myself to Plastic Free July!
I’m not going to harp on about how much I hate single-use plastic (hint: it’s a lot), but I just want to quickly share some facts with you.
- Over the last 10 years we have produced more plastic than during the whole of the last century.
- 50 percent of the plastic we use, we use just once and throw away.
- We currently only recover (recycle) 5% of the plastics we produce.
- Plastics account for approximately 10% of the waste we generate.
- 1 million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
- Virtually every piece of plastic that was ever made still exists in some shape or form (with the exception of the small amount that has been incinerated).
Because of these facts, I am trying my best to kick that plastic habit, and I just wanted to share the main ways I am doing so in my every day life. These are things everyone can do very easily! So, here we go…