Today is my Golden Birthday!
For those of you who aren’t familiar with that term, the “golden birthday” occurs when a person turns the age of their birth day. My birthday is June 26th and today I am 26 years old!
I never did an intro post when I started blogging. I just jumped right in because, as many of y’all know, this blog began when I returned from our Icelandic honeymoon and had a dozen people asking me for travel advice. I figured that a blog was a great way to document it all, and it just took off from there!
So I’m going to take a few minutes and share 26 fun facts about the Katy behind AroundTheWorldInKatyDays.com!
- I grew up as an Army brat, and split my childhood mainly between Hawaii, California, and Germany. I moved to Texas shortly after my 16th birthday and have been here ever since!
- So far I have been to 31/196 countries and 3/7 continents.
- I just found out that I share my birthday with Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and I am so stoked about that! The Harry Potter series is my favorite of all time. I am a huge Potterhead. #Ravenclaw4Life
- I’ve mentioned in passing that I am a “full-time career environmentalist.” In a little more detail: I work at an environmental non-profit focusing on coastal conservation. I do outreach and marketing for a few water programs at this non-profit, focusing on the common goal of reducing bacteria pollution. My favorite part of my job is teaching rain barrel workshops! And I occasionally get to turn the barrels into works of art, which is fun too!
- My favorite color is sea foam green!
- I looooooove Hamilton. I have never seen the musical in person but it’s definitely my favorite. I know every word to every song and have watched the bootlegs dozens of times. I really hope I can see it sometime soon!
- Reading is my favorite hobby, other than traveling. I always have a book in my purse, and a few more in my car just in case I finish that one.
- My favorite band is Lord Huron and I’m so pumped to see them live in concert in August!
- I have three piercings and one tattoo (shhh, don’t tell my dad about that one!)
- The first half of my name (Kai) means ‘ocean’ in Hawaiian, and the ocean has always been a huge part of who I am.
- I am obsessed with my dog. Her name is Gracie, and she’s a 7 year old German Shorthaired Pointer rescue. I actually made her an Instagram of her own because she’s so hilarious and photogenic. If you need an overload of cute spotty dog photos, go follow her!
- I wear sandals. Every. Single. Day. Seriously, I hate closed toe shoes. If I could wear Chacos every day for the rest of my life, I totally would.
- I am a total adrenaline junkie. If it involves jumping off of tall buildings (like my uni’s football stadium) or bridges (shoutout to my favorite bungee spot, Kawarau Bridge in Queenstown, NZ), or anything of that sort, you can believe that I will be all over it. Blame my dad, he made his living off of jumping out of airplanes in the Army so I guess it’s in my DNA.
- I always keep a hammock in my car, because you never know when the perfect opportunity to have a hang sesh will arise!
- My favorite movies of all time: Sound of Music, Beauty and the Beast, Grand Budapest Hotel, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I watch these movies at least once a month.
- I love National Parks! I have my own NPS passport, and I obsessively get stamps from every national park, monument, etc. that I visit. I also have to get a photo with every park sign.
- I went through weird stages of obsessions when I was a child. One of these weird stages was a fascination with Chinese culture after watching Mulan. I made my mom take me to Chinatown in San Francisco to buy me kimonos, then I wore these kimonos to school all the time. Which is why I have two school pictures like this:
- I have watched every episode of Parks & Rec at least four times.
- My favorite trip so far was when Matt and I roadtripped through New Mexico and Arizona! I love the American Southwest, and all the National Parks in that area.
- During my travels I collect patches and postcards. I write on about our adventures on the postcards and want to compile them into a book one day. And I want to put all my patches on a backpack sometime soon.
- I also collect vinyl records. Matt actually bought me a new record player for my birthday this year and I’m super excited about it!
- Goats are my favorite animals! They are absolute joy and goofiness. I adore them.
- I’m currently trying to learn Japanese for my trip to Japan in December. I hope to be at least conversational by the time I go. So far I’ve made really good progress on hiragana, and Matt and I are enrolling in classes at the local uni for the fall semester.
- I love school! I would like to either go to law school or get another master’s degree in the next few years. We will see!
- Winter is my favorite season! I love cold weather. As much as I love Texas, I really don’t know how I live here and survive the heat.
- Blogging is my creative outlet and I really enjoy writing about our adventures. I used to have a different blog all through college that gained a pretty large following but I stopped writing in it and transitioned over to this one, which is much more fun to write. So thank y’all so much for reading!
Cheers to 26! With New York City, Mexico City, and Japan on the horizon, I’m already so excited for what this year has in store for me!